02 November 2009

"Tweet your theatre experience."

There is a theatre near my house that does plays that could be classified as "experimental". I guess that is a way of saying that the play is akin to going through a root canal without anaesthetic. The usual fare is along the lines of "Fatima--Origins of a Suicide Bomber". That was supposed to be a joke, but it seems there really was such a play. I believe that this organisation may have actually presented it as well.

If you don't get the picture, they want to present plays that "will have you talking long after the production". It has worked with renowned avante garde theater artists, including the Bread & Puppet Theatre, Mabou Mines, Charles Ludlam's Ridiculous Theatrical Company, and The Wooster Group. Although fare like Sisyphus that was read for your literature "O" Level will have me saying things that aren't too complimentary whenever I can.

They also do things that are entertaining such as Shakespeare in Hollywood and Ying Tong, which I saw and thought were great fun. And something called Hysteria which is a play about the meeting of Sigmund Freud and Salvador Dali. It takes place toward the end of Freud’s life, during the holocaust, after he fled Germany but left his family behind. He has to deal with all the effects of his actions. Beyond this, a girl also comes into play who eventually transforms Freud’s views of his impact on the world.

That was supposed to be as good as Shakespeare in Hollywood and Ying Tong. I'll have to take their word for it.

I've also seen Tom Stoppard's Rock and Roll there. Unfortunately, I missed seeing the version with Dominic West and David Calder, which I would have liked. It wouldn't have made the play better, but I would have preferred seeing those actors.

Anyway, this season is supposed more exciting and "fun".

I have to "agree" since the first play was Athol Fugard's Coming Home. It was as uplifting as a play about someone dying from AIDS can be.

I am hoping that the upcoming plays will be more entertaining than Rock and Roll and Coming Home. But the tickets were cheap!

The alternative is stuff like Les Miz, Phantom of the Opera, Blood Brothers, The Mousetrap, Stomp, Lion King, and so on. Not that I can't handle that, but it seems to be mostly tourists.

I am not into tweeting, but I think my tweet would have been "ouch!"