17 November 2009

Maybe Austria is more interesting than I give it credit

After my posts on the town of Fucking, Austria, it has come to my attention there is also a Wank. I really prefer fucking, but I'll give wank a mention.

Of course that isn't as interesting as Fucking. The Wikipedia article is a real hoot

"The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg, the Americans want to see where The Sound of Music was filmed. The Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau. But for the British, it's all about Fucking."

The local residents are called "Fuckingers". I guess that beats the other choices.

"What they are, I am not at liberty to disclose, but we will not stand for the Fucking signs being removed. It may be very amusing for you British, but Fucking is simply Fucking to us. What is this big Fucking joke? It is puerile."

Yeah, well I've been called that more than once. I'm puerile and proud of it!

On the other hand, this person doesn't realise how funny that sounds: "What is this big Fucking joke?"

The fact that you don't see it is the "big Fucking joke". Besides, it gives me a reason to say "Fucking".

A local resident of the village, Josef Winkler, attempted to cash in on the village's fame by setting up a website, on which he sold t-shirts featuring the village road signs, with the slogan "I like Fucking in Austria" printed on them.

It also seems that people take pictures of themselves bonking under the Fucking sign, which was another reason for the video cameras. Now, that's a counterproductive method for dealing with exhibitionists.

Yeah, I think the residents of Fucking should be cashing in on its name, although Mayor Franz Meindl said "We don't find it funny. We just want to be left alone. We don't harm anyone and just want to live in peace."

Uh, yeah....