13 October 2009

You don't allow for comments...

Well, that's just your tough luck that I don't want to hear from you. The First Amendment allows for freedom of speech and press, but it does not compel me to have to pay attention to anything that I don't care to give attention.

As I said in my Censorship piece: You have no right to read this.

The First Amendment gives me the right to write it, but doesn't necessarily give you the right to read it. While the right to free speech certainly infers a corresponding right to hear what is being spoken or written, the First Amendment doesn't explicitly grant such a right to read anything you want. So theoretically, it could be argued that no such right exists.

The key word being "theoretically". As a practical matter, the freedom to read whatever we choose is such an intrinsic part of the US or British national character as to make legal theory superfluous. People would rise in outrage if government ever attempted to proscribe what they read. Theory and reality are often two different things.

Add in that my ability to write or say what I want will allow ideas to get out, even if there are attempts to censor them.

The Bill of Rights protects me from Governmental action, not private action. I don't need to hear what you want to say, but I can't stop you from saying it. Also, I can prevent you from saying it on my "property". So, if a property holder wishes to prevent someme from exercising a right, he is within his rights as a property holder. This makes for conflicting rights if a business owner wishes to prevent someone from bringing a firearm onto his property.

Which right rules: the right of property or the right to keep and bear arms? That question might be too much for your tiny brain to grasp.

So, I don't really need to hear what you have to say for those of you who feel this urge to insult me because I challenge your beliefs. I am not forcing my beliefs on you.

I can pick and choose what I want to hear and listen to. I would prefer to listen to someone who offers constructive criticism, not every ignorant jerk with access to the internet.

Additionally, I do not need to give the gun cretin crowd opportunity to voice their opinions as they are strewn all over the internet. They don't need any additional fora for their nonsense.

I know, that takes all the fun out of it. You have this hostility that you have to inflict on others, but you are left alone wanking at the keyboard in frustration.

Well, that's your tough luck. Just don't get the keyboard too messy with your wanking.