24 March 2008

The Ultimate Vanity Press

Vanity presses are private publishers which allow one to "publish" a book usually at the author's expense. The term vanity comes from the fact that someone must be vain to publish in such a way. A desire to see his name in print. Anyway, I write this as my dog, so it's not really my name.

Well, I have mentioned that I do this blog for myself and there have been times I have received comments which I am glad that I did. On the other hand, I just disabled the comment feature. Mostly because it pisses me off to have the ignorant (the guns for criminals crowd) come and make idiotic comments. I have addressed a few of these comments in my posts, but I am not really keen on doing this.

Those really intent on contacting me can do so, but it requires a certain amount of intelligence and creativity. I know this may prevent Silda and myself from ever hooking up, but so it goes!

Alas, they say that do what you love and the money will follow, but I am still in debt. Anyway, defending criminals is not what I had anticipated doing in this lifetime. To quote John Mortimer, "It not the SW1 of the legal profession", which is something my mother can't get through her head. Like Rumpole, it seems like years before I get paid. Unlike Rumpole, I have never had my phone service cut off.

I can dream of a woman like Silda who didn't mind that Idiot earned less than she did, probably because it was in high profile positions. She might not look twice at someone with a first degree in medieval literature and languages though. Anyway, I am married which means that Silda (or a woman like her) has to remain one of those fantasies like finding the nebulous job that pays me 6-7 figures a year or winning the big lottery payoff.

I mean, a rainmaker may have less legal acumen than a first year law student, but he comes with some form of name. I know I've mentioned at least one of those idiots in my blog at one time or another and don't feel like naming any more names. Anyway, I try to have more free time in the day than I spend in court. Especially since the dog pisses on the carpet if I stay in court longer than 2 PM (14h00). That means forget the large firms, unless I can bring the dog. I am not that much of a name in the legal community to name that kind of term.

So for the crowd that says spend X on a legal education and you're still an idiot, when they come here and spout all sorts of legal inaccuracies. Yeah, well I earn $500 an hour and probably do better than you do working 10 hours (or less a week). People pay to have me represent them and for the most part are happy. There are always the whingers, but that's one of the drawbacks of the job.

I guess I am really doing this for myself. Anyway, it's pretty unlikely that my fairy godmother will show up through this blog and grant all my wishes. But she probably has my number if she did exist anyway. If it's meant to be, it will be

Que sera, sera!