11 April 2008

Michael's dream

Bob Dylan's dream is where he was the only person alive after the nuclear war. My dream is that I live in a world like the Survivors, not the thing on these days, but the 1970s BBC series written by Terry Nation (Dr. Who). The concept is that biological warfare has killed off 90% of the world's population courtesy of air travel. The people left over have to create a new society.

Actually, I would prefer a bit more selectivity as to who lives and dies. Maybe a bit more Lathe of Heaven here than Survivors.

Anyway, the premise is interesting. Despite the average US survivialist's dream, The series shows people trying to recreate civilisation, which makes more sense to me. The reality is that hunter gatherer civilisations are nomadic as opposed agrarian socieites which are static. Most civilisation comes from agrarian economies.

I just like the lack of people.