14 January 2008

British Army recruiting material misleading youths.

A week ago there was an article in The Independent and a few other British Papers about how the British Army glamourises war in its recruiting materials. The article states that "The advertising campaigns used by the Ministry of Defence "glamorise warfare, omit vital information and fail to point out the risks and responsibilities associated with a forces career", says the study." That's sort of amusing to me since I remember ads that were pretty realistic as to what I would end up doing once I became commissioned. Although, I do have to admit that this clip from the Beatles' movie help was an influence as well.



It should not come as a surprise to anyone who has watched TV or gone to the movies that the military aids in production, especially if it can be shown in a good light. I wonder how much help the TV program "Soldier, Soldier" had. And I know that the British Army helped in the recent remake (?) of Red Cap with Tamzin Outhwaite. Ms. Outhwaite actually received training at The British Army's Reserve Training and Mobilisation Centre in Chilwell, Nottingham.

On the other hand, the military is supposed to be targeting children as young as seven. I would like to point out as well that the UK is the only EU state to recruit people aged 16. Well, I guess that's fair since 16 year olds can have sex and legally drink in the UK. I mean you can serve in the military and vote in the States, but can't drink. How fair is that?

Needless to say, I am kind of amused by this news, especially the quote from one Article that the hardest thing one recruit had to do was "learn how to ride a horse". Must have been joining the horse guards (or a cavalry unit). In case you didn't know there are two segments of the British Army that requires and additional 6 months of training before a recruit is selected: the paras and the guards. Seriously, the guards have to learn how to polish all that metalwork and the other ceremonial trappings.

Oh, well, I always said the military was like the Boy Scouts except they give you guns. Actually that statement really is not too far off since Baden-Powell designed scouting to indoctrinate young men into the military life style.

So, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that the military is glamourised. Especially now that the Iraq war is as unpopular as it is and it is hard for any military to find people crazy enough to want to be soldiers.

No comments: