21 June 2009

Changes, or first thing we do is kill all the lawyers.

I've decided to add that "I have been to court more than most US law school professors ever have" after engaging in a debate with someone whose only qualifications in the law were two judicial clerkships and is now a law professor with a reputation. I am assuming that this person is not admitted to the bar since that should also be listed on his bio.

I mean I would list my bar admissions and do on my online CV. Trust me, you could figure out who I am from what I write here if you were as intelligent as you think you are: there is a mass publication article about us which is easily googled if indeed you were as intelligent as you think you are (it came up first go for me).

Anyway, as they say, those who can't teach.

The scary bit is that his blogs have quite a following: especially amongst the great unwashed. But then again, I think the masses are indeed asses.

Not sure whether to describe the blog as a circle-jerk or confederacy of dunces. Of course, that may sound like sour grapes since I tried to join his listserve and never had a response. Of course, someone with real experience in the field could be detrimental to the party. Not to mention I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member.

I have no love for the legal profession in the US for a myriad of reasons: the system of legal education being the primary one. Having people trained by academics with no grounding in reality should frighten the masses. Additionally, all one need do is survive an accredited law school and pass the bar to inflict oneself upon the US legal system.

Other legal systems have ways to cull the herd, but not the US legal system. There are stagiaires, pupillages, and articled clerkships in other countries which actually ground the fledgling lawyer in the law. When I was doing my pupillage in England, the Law Society (the governing authority for British Solicitors) knocked down the number of articled clerks allowed for that year's class size. Barristers need to be admitted to chambers after they finish their pupillage. Otherwise, you can't practise law as a barrister.

Not to mention that not only do law schools have professors who have never actually practised law, but are pretty lax in who gets in with class sizes growing. Which ends up with this frightening fact that the US has half the lawyers in the world since anyone who can pass the bar exam and get admitted is admitted to practise law!