26 January 2010

More Media Player

I have to admit a bit of trepidation about all this, but I've decided to go with the Brite-view Cinema Tube. The trepidation is due to the fact that there could be a newer neater media player coming up in the future. Also, it seems that some blue-ray players have the facility to do some of the streaming feature I want.

This video showed the thing works worldwide:


The Brite-view site mentions that it can access BBC iPlayer via TVersity. There is another service, Playon, that allow you to download content from services such as Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon VOD. I am not sure how easy it will be to transfer content since it seems one has to use the UPnP interface and other things.

It would be nice to have a simple, idiot proof system though rather than something that requires a lot of time and effort to set up. Even without setup, I can have iPlayer programmes, but it requires downloading through get_iplayer to a computer. It would be nice to stream the iPlayer content directly, and have the Hi-Def option.

Anyway, this appears to be a less expensive method of streaming and viewing my media files than buying another computer.

BTW, I found this software that supposedly gives support for BBC iPlayer programming. Unfortunately, it only appears to work on Vista or Windows 7, neither of which I will touch.