29 January 2010

General thoughts

It's bizarre that the US has a right to own firearms, but not one to health care. Even more bizarre since the US claims to have this "pro-life" belief.

My Brite-view Cine-tube is on the way! I should be watching it tonight. Yipee!

I learned the command to get hi-def materials from iPlayer using get-iPlayer (get_iplayer --get xxx --mode flashhd --force, with XXX being the programme number). The difference in quality is astounding. And it doesn't have the actual iPlayer DRM: even better!

Comments, I would like to take them, but some people need to learn how to play correctly and share. I think this problem is due to the lack of nannies in the US. The US is seriously lagging behind in the Nanny gap.

The inequality thing is one of a few of topics that has really piqued my curiousity.

The others are control of the media and the lack of railroads, especially high speed ones, in the US.

This neat page of Samuel Johnson Quotes: http://www.samueljohnson.com/index.html
With these neat Quotes on Freedom
248. America/Americans; Freedom; Slavery
"How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"
Johnson: Taxation No Tyranny
Link

666. America; Freedom; Slavery
"Slavery is now no where more patiently endured, than in countries once inhabited by the zealots of liberty."
Johnson: Idler #11 (June 24, 1758)
I will reiterate something I like to quote, Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary:
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.

Vegetarian sausage and bacon. It is sort of a stretch that I eat turkey sausage and bacon these days, but I still want some animal protein in my diet. I'm not ready to go totally vegetarian.

So, other than being annoyed that the big electronics firms haven't weighed in on the media player thing, I am ready for the weekend. It would be nice if the big electronics firms came up with one of these things that allowed you access to ALL the material on the internet rather than the crappy little programmes out there, such as Playon and TVersity. Milliesoft's tuner free MCE seems to be the best programme out there except it only works in Vista and Windows 7--neither of which I will touch. Next OS I move to will be Ubuntu.

There is a world of material out there so, it doesn't need to be "57 channels and nothing's on".

Now, Who's a clever boy? I have to brag here. Now, see how you match up at the Pew Research Centre's Political Quiz


The ultimate insult, Tony "The Weasel' Blair went in front of the Iraq Inquiry crew this AM. Amusingly enough, he denied that there was a "covert" deal with George Bush--Does that mean the deal was "overt"? I keep thinking of what Kenneth Clarke, MP said that was recorded in the House of Commons Hansard Debates for 26 Feb 2003 (pt 14):
Mr. Clarke: We have had 12 years, in two or three of which people have done nothing at all. We have had 11 weeks of the present policy and we must judge whether a few weeks more are required.

Let me make clear the origin of my doubts about the very persuasive case that the Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary sometimes put. I cannot rid myself of doubts that the course to war upon which we are now embarked was decided on many months ago, primarily in Washington, and there has been a fairly remorseless unfolding of events since that time. I am not alone in having heard and met American politicians of great distinction who gave the impression that a change of regime in Iraq was determined upon long ago and that the use of military force in a pre-emptive strike was justified in order to achieve that. I believe that in most cases the motives have been worthy and they genuinely believe that they are ridding themselves of an evil regime. I do not believe the conspiracy theorists. One can go on to hear theories about the installation of democracy in the Arab world, unfinished business from a previous Administration, and a reaction to the understandable state of political opinion in the United States of America in the aftermath of 11 September.

If war happens in the next few weeks—that is a genuine possibility—hon. Members must ask themselves whether it is legitimate to believe that such action had already been determined and had been remorselessly unfolding for many months. Many people believe that. It is why middle England and those of moderate political opinions have so many doubts. To many of my constituents, the answer to the questions, "Did Washington determine such action many months ago?" and "Could the President seek re-election without war and the removal of Iraq's president?" is as obvious as the reply to "Does the emperor have clothes?" The Government must respond to that formidable case.

George Monbiot is offering a bounty for "Tony the Weasel's" arrest

Again, it's interesting that similar movements regarding an Iraq inquiry and arrest of Bush and his cronies hasn't taken hold in the more serious segments of US Society.